Training Course for Diplomacy and Protocol
One day Diplomacy explained by a seasoned expert. An understanding for all staff supporting international managers and diplomats.
To provide an understanding of protocol and diplomacy for variety of support staff within all organisations which deal with international diplomats. The course is aimed at enabling delegates to assist in the function of persuading diplomats to support and promote the organisation through aid, political or commercial activities. To provide an understanding of the need for protocol in diplomacy and how to use it effectively to support their organisation and managers.
Taught entirely in-house by an experienced tutor. Delivery is interactive with roleplay, discussions to build awareness and understanding of this diverse subject.
Diplomacy and Protocol Course Content
- The origin and purpose of diplomacy
- The various forms of diplomacy/”missions”
- Different types Heads of Mission
- Why in diplomacy style, substance and respect are essentially intertwined
- Some examples of Protocol, including seemingly meaningless procedures
- Examples of incidents of diplomatic snubs/slights, perceived or real, through the ages and their consequences
- Identifying diplomats’ roles in their embassies, and addressing and dealing with them in person or through correspondence – whether the diplomats are junior or the most senior in their embassies.
- Participants will be able to identify diplomatic emblems and insignia, where these are used or displayed
Students of this course will learn how properly to address diplomats both in person and in correspondence
To engage them in sensible “small talk”, as necessary.
“The trainer is very knowledgable, clear and interactive during class”.
“The course instructor provided numerous examples and was able relate the content back to its
relevance to my position with my current employer”. N Bause. Germany
Dates and Duration
One day course delivered 10:00 to 16:00 with 45 minutes lunch break and a Q and A session after 16:00 (estimated 30-60 mins).
Please contact the centre re a date for this course
This course is designed for staff who work in any organisation that deals with diplomatic protocol
Ideally, you need to be working in or aspiring to be working in a department/section of an organisation which interacts with international diplomats (or even your own country’s diplomats). You will need reasonable English skills, written and spoken. It will also be useful, but not essential, to have a reasonable knowledge of international affairs or at least an interest in gaining such knowledge (outside of this particular course).
Participants will gain special knowledge and will therefore be confident when meeting and greeting diplomats prior to their appointment with the participant’s manager, thereby making a crucially important good first impression of the organisation and those who manage it.