STATUS: Permanent, Full Time
LINE MANAGER: Office Manager/PA to Headmaster
- Undertake receptionist and front of house duties, such as answering the telephone, dealing with face-to-face enquiries and signing in visitors.
- Have due regard for the welfare and safeguarding of pupils and staff by ensuring that all visitors to the school sign in, and are issued with the appropriate identification badges and notified of the school fire procedure, as per the school’s health & safety and safeguarding policies.
- Receive visitors, students and staff for prospective tours and parents’ evenings, providing refreshments as necessary.
- Assist the Office Manager with general administrative and clerical duties including printing, laminating, photocopying, scanning, filing and making labels.
- Sort and distribute incoming mail in a timely manner; prepare all outgoing mail (including courier delivery).
- Accurately update and maintain school and pupil records, both manually and electronically in the school’s management information system (currently SIMS), and notify school associations (DfE, Ofsted or similar) of any changes to key personnel.
- Assist with the compiling of school reports, and email or post these to parents within the scheduled timeframe.
- Manage the supply of office stationery under the direction of the Office Manager
- Provide basic levels of administrative support for teaching staff and the Senior Management Team.
- Ensure the reception/visitors’ area is kept tidy and presentable and replenish supplies of school marketing material.
- Collect monies in relation to school activities.
- Book school photographers, transport and other external agencies as advised by your line manager.
- Provide administrative support to ensure a seamless transition in the induction of new staff (usually over the holidays): update pigeon holes, email distribution lists and school registers with the names of new starters.
- Assist the Senior Management Team with administrative duties as and when required.
- Identify reasons and suggest remedial measures to your line manager in respect of types of queries that are challenging to resolve, occur frequently and/or take up significant amounts of time.
- Participate in relevant staff meetings and support staff training and development sessions.
- Undertake first aid and/or fire marshal duties where required by the School.
- Carry out such tasks as shall be deemed necessary by your line manager/Headmaster to ensure the smooth running of the school.
Education and Skills
The candidate will:
- Be educated to a good standard, including GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English.
- Be proficient in the use of ICT applications and information management systems such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SIMS (or similar)
- Show a commitment to continued professional development.
Competencies for the Role
The candidate will:
- Have excellent communication and customer service skills, including a confident telephone manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to work well under pressure and use one’s own initiative.
- Be well presented, wearing suitable office-dress attire.
- Deal with sensitive matters discretely and confidentially where applicable.
- Be flexible with their time, and highly organised.
- Show excellent attention to detail.
- Have a competent and compassionate nature.
All employees of KPS must have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, ensuring compliance with school policy and DfE legislation: Keeping Children Safe in Education (September 2016)
HEALTH AND SAFETY
All employees of KPS must have due regard for general Health and Safety, acting according to school policy and the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974)
The front desk must always be manned from Monday – Friday between the hours of 8.00am – 6.00pm. This is a full-time role for two receptionists, and the hours will be shared between both roles. This is an all year round post; the post holder is required to work throughout the year including school holiday periods.
The receptionist is granted 20 working days’ holiday per year, plus Public Holidays and any discretionary stand-down period which may be granted over the Christmas/New year period. Holiday dates should be agreed in advance with your line manager and should be taken during the School’s main holidays. Holidays will be granted provided there is adequate reception cover.
It is the nature of school life that administrative staff need to have a high degree of flexibility. You must expect therefore from time to time to help where needed and to undertake tasks of a more general nature that are not specifically mentioned in this job description. This job description should be seen as a guideline and not a comprehensive list of duties.